9-18-13 - Too Proud to Beg

When we left off, a rich man’s manager stood accused of squandering the property he was entrusted to tend, and he was summoned to a smack-down with his master. It does not appear he was falsely accused – here is his reaction: "'What will I do, now that my master is taking the position away from me? I am not strong enough to dig, and I am ashamed to beg. I have decided what to do so that, when I am dismissed as manager, people may welcome me into their homes.'”

Lazy and
incompetent and proud – now there’s a trifecta. He acknowledges there are honorable ways of getting out of his jam, but he chooses rather to run a scheme: "So, summoning his master's debtors one by one, he asked the first, `How much do you owe my master?' He answered, `A hundred jugs of olive oil.' He said to him, `Take your bill, sit down quickly, and make it fifty.' Then he asked another, `And how much do you owe?' He replied, `A hundred containers of wheat.' He said to him, `Take your bill and make it eighty.'"

Not a bad plan. The boss gets some of what’s owed him, if at wholesale rather than retail prices. The customers get a deal. The manager has bought himself some influence with people who could do him a favor… which he’s soon going to need. His plan is strategically sound. Does that make it good?

Jesus tells this story right after the one about the son who squandered his inheritance. Two characters who have misused resources entrusted to them, in deep trouble. The son in the earlier story decides to come clean and entrust himself to his father’s mercy. The guy in this story decides he will keep trying to play the situation, relying on his own strategies – which is pretty much what got him into this pickle in the first place. A friend of mine called these “self-saving strategies,” the things we do and say to justify ourselves, to stay self-sufficient instead of God-sufficient.

I just saw Woody Allen’s new film, Blue Jasmine, which depicts the ruinous consequences for several characters who build their lives on layers and layers of lies and manipulation and self-saving strategies, which crash and collapse under them. It’s an exhausting way to live. Most of us have a few, though. One of mine is trying to juggle more than I can manage well. But I keep doing it – and will, as long as I value those rewards of affirmation and accomplishment and being productive more than I trust God for my sense of well-being.

What are some of your self-saving strategies? What in your life or work or relationships or self-image do you keep trying to “manage?” What patterns do you have that actually lead to more anxiety than peace?

Whether or not something comes to mind, we can all reaffirm our desire to trust God for what we need. We can say whether we feel God is close or far away, substantial or flimsy – and ask Jesus to show us how to trust more. That’s my prayer – “Show me your way, Lord. I’m tired of mine.”

Jesus could have taken all kinds of outs – he had people to run to. He had power. Instead, He put his trust, all his trust, in God’s plan, though it looked like a way scary and painful plan. He really had to trust that the ending God had for this story was a whole lot better than it looked… And it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment