11-13-13 - Faith on Trial

I may have overdone it with the “end of the world” stuff the past two days. Yes, Jesus refers to wars and famines and portents of the end, but that is not his focus. He is preparing his followers for the hard times to come, when the structures of their faith are torn away, and they face persecution from both Jewish leaders and Romans for their belief in Christ.

"But before all this occurs, they will arrest you and persecute you; they will hand you over to synagogues and prisons, and you will be brought before kings and governors because of my name.
” He says they will be betrayed by family and friends and handed over, and, “some of you will die.” But there’s an upside: this will give them a chance to testify. Then he says something strange: don’t prepare. “So make up your minds not to prepare your defense in advance; for I will give you words and a wisdom that none of your opponents will be able to withstand or contradict.”

Defending our faith is not a situation many of us will have to face. I have heard testimony from African clergy who have faced bitter persecution and bombed churches and death threats. But most Christians I know are more likely to be mocked than persecuted for their faith. “Why do you bother with that?”

And what would you answer? What do you say when people ask why you believe in Christ? As the old saw goes, “If you were on trial for being a Christian, would there be enough evidence to convict you?” Name some of that evidence, just to remind yourself.

We may not have to stand up for our faith very often, but there are occasions when we’re called to testify in other ways – to stand for justice, to speak truth to those who have the power to change things. I may have such an opportunity tomorrow on Capitol Hill – and I ask your prayers. I am in Washington, DC this week, at the Brady Summit on Preventing Gun Violence. There are about 250 people from all over the country here, and today’s sessions were powerful and informative, moving and helpful. We heard from public health officials and a congresswomen, from the Director of the ATF, from doctors, law enforcement, activists and parents who’ve lost children to gun violence. Tomorrow morning, we gather for some training and then we go to the Hill to speak to legislators, to remind them that background checks work, and urge them to close the internet and gun show loopholes that allow 40% of gun purchasers – mostly people we all agree should not have access to guns - to bypass background checks.

I will wear my collar and bear witness to the stance that my faith community and many others take on this issue, supporting background checks and sensible gun laws to keep us safe. I don’t know what I will say, if given the chance, but I plan to be conscious that I’m not alone – that Jesus, who has promised to be with me through His Spirit, will be right there – and he can be pretty persuasive.

After all, it’s not our job to represent God, or even to make other people believe in God – it’s just up to us to make the introductions, to speak of the love and truth we experience. The Spirit will do the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment