5-16-14 - Greater Things

How did the church’s expectations get so small? Maybe not all churches – some do expect that God will move in power among them. But many churches of the sort I know best seem to ask very little of God, and operate as though they’re not sure they can count even on that. Listen to what Jesus said, though:

“Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; but if you do not, then believe me because of the works themselves. Very truly, I tell you, the one who believes in me will also do the works that I do and, in fact, will do greater works than these, because I am going to the Father.”


Greater works than what Jesus did? He who transformed water into vats of finest wine, who could extend a snack into a meal for 5,000, who healed the lame and the lepers and gave sight to the blind? He who rose from the dead? It’s impossible. And yet, for a time, after the Spirit came at Pentecost, the apostles did indeed perform works as great – greater, if we figure that divine power was more diluted in them than in Jesus. So what happened?

Well, God still works among us in miraculous ways. Yet many say such things are impossible, or that it’s rude to ask too much of the Lord, as though God’s power were finite. Perhaps one obstacle comes from what Jesus is quoted as saying next, “I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son.” And, in case they didn’t get it, “If in my name you ask me for anything, I will do it.”
 

I don’t know about you, but I’ve asked for things in Jesus’ name that I have not seen manifest. Good things, holy things – healing and restoration, and the gift of faith for those who wanted it. What are we to make of this line? Bad translation? Maybe the writer of John adding things for effect? No, that’s too easy. However this came into our sacred writings, I think we are invited to deal with it.

In part, that means dealing honestly with our disappointment with God for the “unanswered prayers.” It means opening our spirits to the operation of the Holy Spirit so that more and more we pray for what God already intends – and maybe was waiting for us to be willing to be done through us. And it takes praying in Jesus' name - which means, praying in his will, in his Spirit. It means praying His prayer.

It is a fine balance to pray with huge faith and boldness and yet release our desires into the mystery of God’s will. We can only do it, I believe, from within an honest relationship with God, trusting in God’s love, even when that is hard to feel. That’s why they call it faith.

Name a “great work” you would like God to accomplish through you. Don’t be timid, don’t be rational – go for broke. Let God know that today in prayer. Ask the Spirit to help refine that prayer in you until you have an inner conviction that you are praying God’s prayer. If we have to say, “If it is your will,” we don’t have that conviction yet, and we’re invited to keep praying and keep inviting the Spirit to knead that prayer in us until its ready to rise and become bread.

The only thing I’m sure of is that if we don’t ask, if we don’t step out on the promises of God in faith, we will see only small works. Jesus said it; let’s lean on it. The more we pray, in faith, in the Spirit, the more activity of God we will see. Amen! Let it be so!

And here’s another Amen – I am graduating with my Doctor of Ministry degree from Hartford Seminary today. Thanks be to God!

1 comment:

  1. ... churches of the sort I know best seem to ask very little of God, and operate as though they’re not sure they can count even on that.

    Thanks for the suggestion: heart vs head. I feel healthier already (and much encouraged) to pray my heart's desire and watch with confidence for God on the move than to pray with trepidation and doubt about the effectiveness of my prayer.

    Kirk

    ReplyDelete