8-3-15 - No Hunger, No Thirst

When Jesus says that he is the bread of life, he also makes a big claim: 
“Whoever comes to me will never be hungry, and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty.”

Is he only speaking figuratively? On the face of it, it would seem so. Many people believe and yet experience hunger or thirst on a regular basis, physically, emotionally and also spiritually. We have not received all that we need so that we have no wants. Or have we?

The realm of God is an already/not yet place. Often we put too much of our focus on the not-yet, when Jesus’ message in word and action was “It’s already here, folks! This God who loves you is near, is here, with power to heal and to provide.” The healings and the miracle of the loaves and fish were yet more ways to show that this Good News has implications in our material lives here and now, not only in our spirits. Even in the face of persecution, Jesus taught, God provides. How hard it is to trust that! Those muscles need to be developed and then exercised.

If anyone has reason to be thirsty, it is Rosie, a Latino woman I met at a nursing home where I do a service once a month. She often adds to my homilies, conveying my point better and more eloquently than I did. She is semi-reclined in a wheelchair, and looks to me to be in her mid-40s. And she is radiant, always smiling, grateful. One time I had spoken about the living water of Christ always within us, and she said, “I know about that living water. Before I knew Jesus I had this emptiness inside me, nothing could fill it. But the moment I learned about him and said yes to faith, I felt full. Now I always feel full of God, all the time, no matter what.”

Rosie’s “no matter what” is a very challenging one, confined to a wheelchair, living in a nursing home. I’m sure she had different plans for her life. But her joy is palpable. That living water of Holy Spirit life truly runs in her and causes her to be very focused on other people, on spreading her joy and peace.

St. Paul put it well: "I have learned to be content with whatever I have. I know what it is to have little, and I know what it is to have plenty. In any and all circumstances I have learned the secret of being well-fed and of going hungry, of having plenty and of being in need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me." (Philippians 4:11-3)

We have received the bread of life; we renew that awareness around the communion table. We have received the water of life; Jesus promises it is like a stream welling up within us to eternity. As Rosie attests, eternity has already begun. Be fed, be quenched, be blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment