4-13-16 - Hearing Jesus

In our gospel reading this week, we see the religious leaders of Jesus’ time demand that he say whether or not he is the Messiah. None of this hinting around. “Are you or aren’t you?” they ask. In reply, he throws an “Are you or aren’t you?” back at them: Are they his sheep, or not? Actually, he doesn’t ask, because he already knows they are not:

The works that I do in my Father’s name testify to me; but you do not believe, because you do not belong to my sheep. My sheep hear my voice. I know them, and they follow me.

Jesus presents an argument that is hard to refute – and hard to accept. He says, “If you believe in me, you’re one of my sheep. If you don’t, you’re not – so you won’t recognize my voice and become one of my sheep.” He defines his critics “out” as firmly as he defines his followers “in.” That cannot have felt very good to the leaders, already suspicious of him.

How about us, reading this so many thousands of years later? Do you feel like one of Jesus’ sheep? He describes his relationship with his sheep as an intimate one, “My sheep hear my voice. I know them, and they follow me.” Do you feel known by Jesus? Do you feel you are following him?

It can be hard to follow him if we don’t hear his voice, and it can be hard to hear his voice in the din in which we live our lives – actual noise, constant input and stimulus from social media and email and voicemail, not to mention the incessant chatter inside our own heads… How can we hear Jesus’ voice? Well, here are some ways:
  • In prayer, inviting him to speak to us as we wait in silence;
  • In the Gospels, reading them with an eye to get to know the Jesus we find in them – chewing on his words as we encounter them;
  • In the sacraments, inviting him to speak through objects and actions both sacred and ordinary;
  • In hymns and spiritual songs, attending to phrases that stick or come to the surface;
  • In other people, especially people in need, in whom he said he could be found;
  • in our responses to suffering and joy;
  • In our own thoughts, as we invite the Holy Spirit to speak in us.
In which of these ways do you hear Jesus most clearly?

We can follow him without hearing him – that’s called faith. But I believe Jesus wants his sheep to hear his voice. Let’s explore and see if one or more of these avenues opens the ears of our hearts to hear Love calling us in.

No comments:

Post a Comment