6-19-18 - Swamped

(You can listen to this reflection here. Sunday's gospel reading is here.)

“Swamped” is a word we often use to describe our schedule or workload. Its actual meaning is scarier – a boat getting covered by water in a big wave, making everything wet and at risk of capsizing - literally overwhelmed. There are times in our lives when we get swamped, and by a lot more than work.

Things can come up suddenly – an accident, illness in a loved one, break in a relationship or work, a national crisis. We can be overcome by shock, grief, confusion, love – our deck swamped. It’s scary how suddenly we can go from battling a strong head wind to being buffeted in a gale.

When that happens, we find ourselves in the boat with those disciples: "A great gale arose, and the waves beat into the boat, so that the boat was already being swamped."

And we need to remember who they had along in the boat – the Lord of heaven and earth, though he didn't seem to be much help: "But he was in the stern, asleep on the cushion."

Three years ago, my beloved cat suffered a major health crisis. A year ago I faced an unlooked for life transition, with months of uncertainty stretching before me. These days I am anxious about the state of our nation and world. When times like that hit, I know that the best thing I can do is to stay as close as I possibly can to that guy asleep on the cushion, because he has power I do not have; he has peace I cannot conjure; he has love greater than the loves I fear losing.

Indeed, the bible reminds me that, "There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear...”(I John 4:18a) So I choose, like those disciples, to call on Jesus to rise up, not to join the anxiety but to calmly command the winds to cease and the waves to be still.

Are there situations in your life in which you feel your boat is being swamped by the wind-whipped waves? Can you recall the times when the storm was stilled?
Bishop Gene Robinson was once quoted as saying something like, “Sometimes God stills the storm, and sometimes God stills us within the storm.”

Both of my scary situations had blessed outcomes. And sometimes the worst thing happens. Either way, we know that God-Life is one of peace in unpeaceful circumstances, love in the face of fear. I pray that we all stay so focused on the love in our lives that fear cannot gain a foothold.

To receive Water Daily by email each morning, subscribe here.

No comments:

Post a Comment