5-9-19 - Held and Free


(You can listen to this reflection here. Sunday's gospel reading is here.)

Do you ever want to feel you belong to someone, someone who desires the best for you and will hold your heart, and not let anyone take you away? That is the basis of many a romance – and maybe some stalker scenarios. We want to be held tight, and to have our freedom, often at the same time.

This is one of the promises Jesus gives those who follow him as Lord. We have the freedom to walk away, but he will not let anyone take us from him.

My sheep hear my voice. I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish. No one will snatch them out of my hand.
I reflect on this promise when I think of people who seem to have been snatched away from Jesus by greed or mental illness, addiction or trauma, people who claim to have no use for the gift of life he promises. I choose to believe that if they have once considered themselves as belonging to Jesus, if only as children, they are still his, no matter what happens later. I have watched people walk away for years, only to be drawn back, time and again, realizing that his story holds their story, that his people are their people.

And I wonder, were we more conscious daily about being tethered to Jesus, would we feel more grace in daily life? Would we go easier on ourselves? Be easier on other people? What does it mean to feel held fast and fully alive, all at once?

As I write that question, a picture comes to mind, the famous image from the movie Titanic, Kate Winslet at the bow of the ship, her arms outstretched, face into the wind, exhilarated by freedom, as Leonardo DiCaprio holds her safe. Schmaltzy, yes, but perhaps not a bad way to understand the gift of being held so we can be adventurous and free.
I know God wants us to know his love. And I know God wants us to be free. And I know God wants us to be fully alive – in this world, and in the life that comes next, which flows in unbroken continuity from this one. We are already living the eternal life Jesus has won for us; we get to explore it here and now, becoming ready for Life Without Any Ends.

We are free to ride the winds of the Spirit knowing Jesus holds us fast. And no one can snatch us out of his arms.

To receive Water Daily by email each morning, subscribe hereSunday’s readings are here.

No comments:

Post a Comment