10-22-15 - What Do You Want?

What a beautiful question: “What do you want me to do for you?” 
How often does someone ask us that? Take a moment and think about it. What would you answer if someone stood before you now and said, “What do you want me to do for you?”

I can think of a billion things, mostly having to do with stress. Give me some time off. Bless my endeavors so I don’t have to strive so hard. Increase my metabolism.

What if the person standing before you asking that could do anything, move heaven and earth? That’s what Bartimaeus experienced in this week’s story.
And they called the blind man, saying to him, ‘Take heart; get up, he is calling you.’ So throwing off his cloak, he sprang up and came to Jesus. Then Jesus said to him, ‘What do you want me to do for you?’ The blind man said to him, ‘My teacher, let me see again.’

On one level, it seems ridiculous for Jesus to ask – isn’t it obvious a blind man wants to see? Jesus did Bartimaeus the honor of asking him to speak his desire. He didn’t assume, he didn’t impose. He asked, inviting relationship.

Jesus gives us the same honor, and the same freedom. Yes, God knows what we need, better than we do. And God wants us to ask, just as we want our children to ask for what they desire. Prayer is not about getting what we want; prayer is about drawing closer in relationship to the God who loves us. As we can ask in freedom, God responds in freedom.

It’s not like a genie granting three wishes; we don’t always understand the response. Just as we don’t give our children things that would harm them, we sometimes seem to experience a “no” from God. Presumably, had Bartimaeus said, “I want you to smite those who harass me,” Jesus would not have complied. We can be sure, though, that we worship a God who desires wholeness for us in body, mind and spirit.

I preached on this story in nursing homes last week, to people in wheelchairs. That tested my faith: “What do you want me to do for you?” Still I went about praying for God’s healing love to be released in each one as I shared communion. I don’t know why I didn't see quickened limbs and straightened spines; I believe Jesus’ power is undiminished and his presence real.

It's not always instant. Yet I will proclaim his goodness and love, and keep telling him what I would like him to do for me, and for this hurting, beautiful world.

No comments:

Post a Comment