10-5-15 - A Good Person

When I was in elementary school, the SRA reading mastery system was in vogue (I googled… seems to still be around). This was a set of reading materials which children could move through at their own pace. You’d read a selection, answer the questions about it, and if you were correct, move on to the next story. It was a perfect system for over-achievers – a clear path to success and an almost unlimited number of steps to complete.

That’s what the man in this week’s gospel story reminds me of – someone doing the spiritual equivalent of SRA. This was a good and serious man, this fellow who ran up to Jesus. Meticulous in following God’s commandments, humble and faithful, even so he is unsure of his ultimate future. So he comes to find Jesus: As Jesus was setting out on a journey, a man ran up and knelt before him, and asked him, ‘Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?’

Jesus asks why he calls him “good teacher,” telling him that only God is truly good. He reminds him of the Commandments – living according to God’s law is the way to prove your goodness. The man assures Jesus he has kept these all his life. Then Jesus adds a twist.

But wait - before we look at that, let’s stop and wonder at this man. He has kept all the commandments his whole life? That’s amazing! What kind of person is this? A person who can say, “I’m a good person,” is both admirable and deeply saddening. Why saddening? Because those who locate their righteousness in their own ability to follow the rules often have more trouble acknowledging their need for God.

There are two approaches to holiness. One is the “SRA,” rung-climbing, rule-following, sometimes teeth-gritting way of “Give me the directions; I can do it myself.” The other is to be clear-eyed about our weaknesses as well as strengths, willing to be repentant and vulnerable, compassionate toward self and others. I would argue that the first approach leaves little room to grow, while the second allows infinite space for maturing in faith and love. There is nothing wrong with “good people.” It’s just that so often those who say “I’m a good person” say it defensively, explaining why they don’t really have anything to do with God or religious life.

Do you know anyone in that category? I don't wish to sound judgmental – I just don’t think it works. It’s like saying, “I’ve arrived. There is nothing more I need.” Now, this man talking to Jesus wasn’t quite that way – he figured there must be something more he needed to do. And that’s the trap for the “good person,” thinking we can “do” our way into the Kingdom of heaven, when Jesus said it is a gift we need to receive. The last thing this man needed was another spiritual task to complete (though Jesus gave him a whopper...). He needed to submit himself to Love.

“I’m a good person,” is a conversation stopper. What do you say to that? “Good for you?” “No, you’re not?” I think the next time someone says that to me, I will smile and say, “Great. Are you a loved person?” That’s what counts.

No comments:

Post a Comment