8-1-16 - Promises, Promises

This is the week of my big move, and I have no business splashing around in Water Daily – and, truth be told, I could give the gospel reading a miss. (If you want to read what I wrote about it three years ago, here you go.) But two of the other readings set for Sunday are calling me to comment. Each in its way is a foundational text for followers of Christ. 

Let’s spend a few days with the first, a reading from Genesis.
After these things the word of the Lord came to Abram in a vision, ‘Do not be afraid, Abram, I am your shield; your reward shall be very great.’ But Abram said, ‘O Lord God, what will you give me, for I continue childless, and the heir of my house is Eliezer of Damascus?’ And Abram said, ‘You have given me no offspring, and so a slave born in my house is to be my heir.’

This encounter between God and Abram takes place after Abram has won a great battle and been blessed by the great Melchizedek, the King of Salem (or “peace…”). He is on a personal and professional high – and here comes the word of the Lord, promising protection and reward. Is Abram grateful for this divine communication? No; he replies, “So what? You’re blessing me right and left – but the one thing I want most in the world I cannot have: a child and an heir. This schmuck Eliezer, my distant cousin, is to inherit all the wealth I’m amassing? What good are your promises?”

And God does not say, “You want a glass for that whine?” God goes on to make him a promise that changes the course of human history – but more on that tomorrow. Today let’s stay with Abram’s lament. Have you ever felt that way? Able to enumerate many blessings, but bereft in the areas that mean most to you? Sometimes I think the very fact that we so deeply want certain things can keep us from being open to receiving them. We’re looking too hard for blessings in certain areas and stuck in anxiety. I don’t tend to worry about money, and have always been fine financially. I felt deprived in the relationship arena, and remain single.

One day, as I was awaiting word on whether or not I’d been selected for my new job, I was praying and sensed God say, “You can’t take this. It has to be given to you. Keep your hands open.” On one level, this was obvious – the decision was out of my hands. But this was a deeper word for my spirit – not to always think I have to make things happen; to let go and watch what God can do when we’re just open to blessings wherever they come. At no point did I know I was going to get the job – I only knew I would be blessed, one way or the other. After that, I was unable to locate any anxiety about it. It was the weirdest thing.

God has a timetable we cannot program or mess with, and often can only discern in hindsight. God had promises for Abram. God has promises for you. Whine all you want – and then open your hands in joyful expectation.

No comments:

Post a Comment