9-6-19 - Which Road?

(You can listen to this reflection here. Sunday's gospel reading is here.)

The first time I ever went on retreat, it was to a Trappistine convent. I immersed myself in prayer, scripture, worship with the nuns, and the writings of Bernard of Clairveaux. His passion for God was so fervent, at one point I prayed, “Oh Lord, set my heart on fire!” Right away a response popped in my mind: “Do you know what you’re asking? My fire burns away everything that is not of me, everything.” I thought of all those references to God as a refiner’s fire, a consuming fire. I felt I was being offered a choice – the “high road” of full commitment to the way of Jesus, or the lower, slower way of mixed motives and divided devotions. I chose the slow road, the messier way. Do I have some company?

The teachings with which we’ve wrestled this week present this choice. Jesus is telling those who would follow his way that they must walk away from the claims of this world, family and money. “Whoever comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, yes, and even life itself, cannot be my disciple.” James, in his epistle, says even more starkly, “Whoever wishes to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God.”

Did Jesus really mean we should hate this life we’ve been given? The passage from Deuteronomy appointed for this Sunday urges us to “Choose life.” “…today that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Choose life so that you and your descendants may live, loving the LORD your God, obeying him, and holding fast to him…”

Jesus invites us to choose the life that is the most real, most true, most eternal; God-life, visible to the eyes of faith, not the mere world-life apparent to our physical senses. “I have come that they may have life, and have it in abundance,” he says. He invites us to leave behind all that distracts us from receiving the abundance of love, joy, peace, grace, forgiveness, healing – and mission – that God offers us.

I chose the slow road, the “middle way” – we Episcopalians often walk in the middle of the road. Over the years, as my commitment has sharpened, I realize this is also a Kingdom path. The God whom Jesus revealed to us is one who meets us on any road we’re on, whenever we turn away from the emptiness allegiance to the world offers. This Father in heaven rushes out to greet his children as we come back to ourselves and back to our true home.

What are you afraid God might “take away” if you offered yourself more fully as a disciple of Christ?
What commitments hold you back from a deeper commitment to the Way of following Jesus? 
Can you offer that list to God and invite the Spirit to loosen your grip?

What friends have you made on the road? When have you experienced the Father’s greeting?
When have you experienced the Holy Spirit guiding you, protecting you, strengthening you? 
Write down those stories – other people might want to hear them.

The original name for Christ-followers was “The People of the Way.” If we’re on the road with Jesus, guided by the Holy Spirit, his grace will lead us home.

To receive Water Daily by email each morning, subscribe hereSunday’s readings are  here.

No comments:

Post a Comment